Thursday, May 21, 2009

Slayer/Manson/Bleeding Through concert - 7/25/07

(Note: These are the words of a former metal concert virgin. This is my first concert, so if I sound like a concert newbie... I am! I'll try not to bore anyone with the heavy details. I'll be happy to answer any questions, too.)

Now, the words I can say is - holy fuckin' shit! I just got back from the Sound Advice Ampitheatre after witnessing my first fuckin' metal concert and it was everything I expected and more! First off, Slayer and Manson killed! I'm talking everyone, the Slaytanic fans and the Manson Goth fans, came out and came together and it didn't disappoint. Although, sadly, Bleeding Through kept having technical problems and stopped their song twice, which kinda pissed everyone, including me off. But it wasn't their fault, and they finished their set and did pretty well. I have new respect for these Orange County guys.

The doors opened at 6pm, and it was cloudy, humid, and hot - being that its West Palm Beach, Florida. People were passing weed around to smoke and I took one quick hit. Bleeding Through came out first and, as I said before, had some technical shit going on and had to stop their song twice, and unfortunately they got heckled by me and others around. I feel bad admitting it because they actually did pretty well. But Slayer really brought it back!

BTW, if anyone's interested, Slayer's setlist tonight (though I think they played another song after Threshold that I couldn't identify) was:

1. Flesh Storm
2. War Ensemble
3. Chemical Warfare
4. Ghosts of War
5. Cult
6. Bitter Peace
7. Threshold
8. Disciple
9. Payback
10. Jihad
11. Hell Awaits
12. South of Heaven
13. Raining Blood
14. Mandatory Suicide
15. Angel of Death

The place naturally went crazy and it was tasteful show filled with pentagrams, baphomets, and inverted crosses. Kerry and Jeff played their asses off (Kerry threw out some guitar picks), Tom was friendly and gave a shout-out to West Palm Beach, which everyone loved, and Dave was a fuckin' monster on drums. Overall, Slayer kicked ass!

Then Manson came out and surprisingly the show was tasteful and still managed to kick equal amounts of ass. He played the usual hits: Sweet Dreams, The Dope Show, Disposable Teens, mOBSCENE, The Fight Song, The Beautiful People (show closer) and new songs like Heart-Shaped Glasses and Just a Car Crash Away, and other songs. I would say that, surprisingly, Manson got the bigger applause than Slayer. Manson really was awesome, and gave equal shout-out to WPB, especially in Dope Show where he says "Drugs are made in Florida." He flashed a buttcheek and the girls went nuts!

Fuck! My neck hurts from headbanging and I feel dizzy from the weed smoke. But it was a great night! Go see these guys, if you can. You won't regret it.

No comments: