Thursday, May 21, 2009

Ben Weinman’s avant-garde show @ The Stone - 8/13/08

So I decided to spend $10 at some club where Ben Weinman, the guitarist for Dillinger Escape Plan, was performing because I thought it was time to branch out and see an avant-garde show for the first time. I'll be honest - I just didn't get it! I get there about 15 minutes after 10pm and the show still hasn't started.

People are using the bathroom, which is conveniently located behind the stage, and they can't start the show because the flushing will cause distraction for the musicians, and Weinman is still tinkering with his guitar and the pedals to get the right kind of sound he's looking for. Inside, the room has no air-conditioning and the body heat from all the fat losers and pseudo-intellectuals, as well as douchebag DEP fans, is suffocating me. Finally, the show begins and there is no singer - just Weinman on guitar, some dude on a huge 1950s style bass violin, and another hippie-looking dude on drums. All they do for the next hour is making noise, sometimes catchy but mostly monotonous and boring. A few times I nodded off due to the heat and lack of sleep, but I stuck it out and made it through my first experimental gig in the form of avant-garde.

I don't think I'm ready for it, nor do I want to be ready for it. It's not my kind of music. This music is some pothead's excuse for trying to look and sound educational without putting much effort. Believe me, it doesn't take much to create noise and shitty music. Never mind that there were no DEP songs... in fact, I hate DEP's music!

I expected little and got even less.

No comments: