Thursday, May 21, 2009

My dinner with Anthrax (and Red Bull Snowscrapers concert) @ East River Park - 2/5/09

I'm going to do something different here. Rather than go on and on about what I saw from the Red Bull Snowscrapers show tonight and the other acts playing tonight, I'm just going to skip to what happened before, during and after Anthrax's set. If anyone's curious, I arrived just as Valient Thorr, who I had seen previously at the Motorhead show at Roseland last year, finished their set with a little whimper from the freezing crowd. Oh, did I mention it was 9 degrees outside! BRRRRR-fuckin'-BRRRRRR!

BACKSTAGE - I hung out in a big warm tent where there was a fruit bowl, liquor, beer, and Red Bull plus Red Bull Cola. When I wasn't mingling with the other people, I was playing the new Tomb Raider game on XBOX 360, which totally pissed me off and I hated. I drank two beers, a shot of Citrone, and two Red Bulls (I tried the Cola, which sucked ass!) until Anthrax made their entrance to the Park. I managed to get a glimpse of Anthrax guitarist Scott Ian, who quickly left to show some dude the bus. Meanwhile, I caught his fiancee Pearl Aday, stepdaughter to Meat Loaf, texting on her Blackberry and may my introductions. She was very sweet, but there was very little to talk about with her, so we parted ways I made my way behind the stage area. I was able to meet Joey Z, guitarist of Life of Agony, and the members of Anthrax with the exception of drummer Charlie Benante, who seemed to relegate himself to the back of the tour bus before show-time. Also, and quite surprisingly, Chuck D of Public Enemy was on board to perform "Bring the Noise" and I was fortunate enough to shake hands and congratulate him on such an abridged set.

ANTHRAX - Unfortunately, what was to be a return to form and introduction to American metalheads of the new singer for Anthrax, turned out to be a very shortened set. The band could only squeeze out three songs due to the city's curfew ordnance of loud music after 10pm. So the band was able to play "What Doesn't Die," "Madhouse" and "Bring the Noise" before the sound literally being cut off. Needless to say, the band was bummed, the crowd of a many metalheads who had paid NOTHING - yes, the event was free - were bummed, and I who was drunk off of my various beverages was also bummed, though just excited to be surrounded by the great Anthrax and their family and friends onstage. For the brief time, I felt like I was one with the band and it felt glorious! I couldn't stop banging my head and throwing up the devil horns during "Madhouse" and totally had a Guitar Hero moment as I crazily pretended to air-guitar during the chorus. Through it all, though, it was still fun... and interesting still as the night wore on. Set Rating: B

BACKSTAGE - I got back to the tent with singer Dan Nelson when I spotted Damien Maurer, the same bald-headed prick that I had accused of not caring about metal bands before, and our eyes locked. Being drunk, I didn't even bother to seem surprised or upset by his presence and that may have pissed him off as, from out of nowhere, this scumbag, piece-of-trash actually grabbed me by the fucking throat and proceeded to pick a fight with yours truly. In all honesty, I was too out-of-it to fight back, which seems to the MO of the NYDM by taking advantage of people when they're helplessly drunk. All I can remember is that it was broken up and there was no fight. Not one to back down, I confronted this Maurer douche and talk about what had been going on between us and his beef against me. And while he may come from the right place, his approach was wrong and solved nothing. I told him that under other (sober) circumstances his arm would have been broken had he put his hands on me but that it wasn't about us, but for Anthrax, and that whatever problems we have should be discussed. So we did.... and I think that deep down in that big, bald chrome head of his is actually a decent old man and in another lifetime we could have been great friends. Sadly, we didn't come to any resolution. I am not sorry for the things I said about Juliya C. or Metal Sanaz, though I do admit it was wrong to say about women, and he is still part of the machine - someone who is against helping metal bands unless it benefits him, which I don't agree with. However, kudos to him for saying I am a great writer when I asked if he read my blogs, so the kid has taste.... AND READS! Another time, he and I should sit down and really talk.... but he better keep his fucking grimy hands to himself or he'll leave as an amputee - that's a goddamn promise.

THE PARTY (OR: WHY DO I FEEL LIKE THE FIFTH WHEEL?) - So after that altercation in the tent, Dan invited me to go back to the hotel with his lovely wife, Kim, and a couple people to drink. I got to ride in the tour bus and shoot the shit with Dan and a bunch of talkative people who just wouldn't shut up, including myself! But Dan was gracious and always seemed to listen to everyone talking at once, even if he didn't understand what you were saying. A switch of plans later and we're in Greenwich Village where Scott Ian and Pearl had set up a private gathering for friends. In all honesty, I knew I didn't belong, or at least was not supposed to be there. But Dan and Kim seemed to genuinely want me to stay, being the two totally awesome individuals that they are, and I didn't want to appear rude by taking off - because I didn't know where the fuck I was really - so I stayed. I wish I could say I had a great time, but there was nothing going on except quiet pleasantries and some talk between Ian and a dude about Metallica going into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and their recent shows in New York. I ordered a Deviled Egg and ate it within two bites. Kim showed us pictures of her cute little pup Champion, or Bubba as they call him while people came and went to smoke or take a piss. I am much more comfortable when I know the people rather than coming into someone else's party. Still, I appreciated the time with Dan and Kim and Pearl and their guest.... oh yes, and with Scott. My opinion of his attitude, though I assume he was still upset by the short set earlier, was somewhat rude and distract. He seemed to constantly be checking his Blackberry, or some hand-held gizmo, and was no engaging with anyone from where I sat. To bring some levity, I asked why he was big into KISS, which I can't fathom why ANYONE would be inspired by them. And when I asked who in Anthrax banged Christina Applegate, he replied with a bitter "No one did" without so much as an ironic chuckle. At least Dan made a funny crack about wanting to do her, as a way to break the awkwardness of Ian's response. I could say he's probably humorless and dull, but I didn't really get a chance to talk with him. Until we get to really talk, I'll have to view him as such.

In the end, it was a lot of fun and got to have my Bam Margera moment tonight, riding in a tour bus and hanging out with a reputable band - Margera with Slayer and me with Anthrax - and can't say any more good things about Dan and Kim Nelson. I truly love the both of them and can't wait until we meet up to play hockey! BRING IT, DANNO!

EVENING GRADE: A-

No comments: