Thursday, May 21, 2009

My wicked night w/ Skeletonwitch and Cannabis Corpse - 1/11/09

Even though I did promise that Metallica would be my first technical show for '09, I decided to check out my friends Skeletonwitch and Cannabis Corpse perform at Public Assembly in Williamsburg, though I consider this more of a gathering between friends than an actual show.

I got witness the ever-growing rise in popularity for the Ohio quintet and got to see the chops of the Virginia thrashers, normally associated with Municipal Waste, for the first time. It was great to see Chance, Nate, Evan, Derrick, and Scott, as well as meeting Scott's brother and the band's manager for the first time and they were still the coolest and most down-to-earth dudes around. For example, I have to give thanks to the 'Witch for letting my dumb ass in after I squandered my entrance fee on beer, and for that, I bought some of their gear, which I never do for any band, such as a poster, pins, shirt, and patch, and watched from the wings as they pummeled the crowd left and right. They truly were amazing. By '09, they'll be headlining bigger venues and festivals, just you wait!

As the smell of weed wore on and the sweat poured from all the fat 'tards in attendance, I mused over the fact that they have come a long way since I first saw them opening for Hate Eternal earlier last year when there was bearly a ripple in the crowd at the time when they opened. Then I saw them on the October 15 show at Roseland Ballroom, on tour with Danzig and Dimmu Borgir for the Blackest of Black Tour, where there were some nods of approval. Finally, at Public Assembly, the whole place blew up! Whether it was word-of-mouth from yours truly or metal fans are buying their album Beyond the Permafrost, which is a pretty remarkable debut from a newer band these days, Skeletonwitch are becoming slowly popular among the New York crowd... and we're a tough crowd to please.

Afterwards, as the guys stuck around to drink, I chatted with each of them maintaining a level of respectable distance so as not to come off as an annoying douchebag fan, which I can be depending on the band, but rather as an equal of high standards and respectability, which is my true form of being. I got to see the Sex Pistols classic "Anarchy in the U.K." and they seemed to genuinely like my performance. I tried to get Cannabis Corpse's singer to play "Caught in a Mosh" by Anthrax with me, but they had to leave soon after Skeletonwitch did. In the end, it was good to show these guys my chops, even if I'm not a metal singer, or in a band for that matter, and just had fun which is what it's all about.

No comments: