Thursday, May 21, 2009

Nile w/ Warbringer, Unexpect, The Faceless, Suicide Silence @ BB King’s - 3/30/08

I have to say that BB King's on 42nd St. has become my new hangout of choice for metal shows. Sure there's Hammerstein Ballroom, the Knitting Factory, Europa, and more, but BB King's always seems to have a great crowd, great atmosphere, and great bands who show up and tear the place apart. Tonight was no different than my other visits there, as Nile and guests which include openers Warbringer, who I saw opening for Exodus back in February 4; Canadian prog metallers Unexpect, who came with a violinist - but more on that later; The Faceless, whose name fits because I can't remember their faces or their set that well due to it being "typical death metal" fare; and Suicide Silence with their terribly misplaced emo/screamo-looking frontman.

My night started pretty much as it always does. I get there right around the time when the doors open and when metalheads from all over New York and New Jersey being to congregate into the club to find a great spot in the back (pussies!) or upfront, like I do, to get a perfect view of men (and in the case of Unexpect - a woman) doing what they do best. But for some strange reason there was a hint from the crowd holding back during the first couple bands. I mean, it all sounded great, despite some visual surprises.


Warbringer were the first to come out and hopefully capture the same magic they did during the Exodus show last month. In fact, I'd say the band's frontman, John Kevill, recited the same exact speech, word for word, about war, satan, and typical heavy metal "combat" jargon. The same songs were there: "Total War," "Systematic Genocide," and "At the Crack of Doom" were played to perfection, especially during various guitar solos by John Laux, a visual and sonic mix of Kirk Hammett and Slash, but the crowd showed no love. or hate for that matter which is probably a good thing. Ryan Bates, the drummer, was evidently sick and it showed on his face as he continuously pounded the fuck out of his kit with such aggression that I couldn't take my eyes off him. Despite the crowd's reticence, Warbringer brought their game and despite being kids (18-22, they're younger than me!) they prove they can play with the big boys.

Unexpect got a bit of a cult following and picked up the momentum with a little help from, I think, a bazooka-shaped eight-to-twelve string bass, a baby-faced electric violinist, and a beautiful young girl with a siren-like appeal of Amy Lee of Evanescence, but with more growl than hum. I admit, the visual presentation is hilarious! I mean there's seven members in the band and you have the usual suspects there: guitars, bazooka-bass, drums, even a fucking keyboard (ugh!), and a violinist????? HAHAHAHAHA! The first words out of my mouth were literally and loudly: "Are you fucking kidding me?" Naturally, I drew stares and laughter at my skeptical dismay of seeing a violin in a metal band. But, hey, they're from Montreal, Quebec, Canada, so shit like this is probably not uncommon up there. Sonically they're ecclectic, which is always a good thing, but visually it takes a while for the cynic in me to subside.

The Faceless.... hmmmmm..... not much really to write about. The singer had a wicked-looking beard like Goatwhore's main singer. Um..... I guess they rocked. Boy.... this is tough! Next!

Suicide Silence need to ditch their frontman. If we're talking about something that doesn't fit, it would be him. I mean, everyone else had the exact same look - long greasy hair, black cut-off shirts, and camouflage shorts - while this kid had a green shirt, tight blue jeans, and short hair that reminds me of those cheesy Christian metalcore losers from Orange County, CA. Not much in the way vocally except the usual squealing "AHHHHHHHHH"! The drummer was kick-ass, and even more kick-ass is that he personally handed me a drumstick! Rather than giving it to the three bitches up front he just handed it to me. Okay, so I did yell quite loudly for him to "gimme, gimme, gimme!" but he didn't have to do it, yet he did. Bros before hos, I guess. :D

Finally, Nile! This marks the second time I saw these guys - the first being at Ozzfest last year, which I wrote a pretty bad-ass blog about here - and seeing them indoors and without the threat of heat stroke, I was able to enjoy a set that was equal parts brutal and meditatively calm (at least during the symphonic interludes). So much brutality during Nile's set that these two douchebags nearly got into a fight with one another right behind me. Sadly, nothing did happen. One of them looked like John Lennon on steroids. They played a rousing set from old and the new album "Ithyphallic." Here's what they played in order, from the setlist I managed to snag:

What Can Safely Be Written
Sacrifice Unto Sebek
The Black Flame
Papyrus Containing the Spell to Preserve Its Possessor Against Attacks from He Who is in the Water (whew!)
Cast Down the Heretic
Ithyphallic
Eat of the Dead
Ramses Bringer of War
Essential Salts
Lashed to the Slave Stick
Annihilation of the Wicked
Black Seeds of Vengeance
Unas Slayer of the Gods

And now, the conclusion, or: waiting in the fucking cold and freezing my balls and fingers off! Yes, a good hour and a half of waiting and waiting and more waiting to get a picture with Nile and some of the other bands. I got to chat it up with John (Kevill) and John (Laux) of Warbringer and get pics with them, as well as all seven members of Unexpect, who showed that they are super cool and down-to-earth... but theose French accents - how annoying! And of course my chat with Karl's guitar tech - a nice guy - and eventually Karl, Dallas, Chris, and George. Needless to say, they were kind to take pics, sign my Nile setlist, and answer a few questions from yours truly. I even told George's girlfriend that she's way hotter than Karl's girl, who looked like a trampy little slut in knee-high socks, while George's girl looked like a mocha-chocolate goddess. What his secret? He's a drummer! Touche!

So, another great night. I was treated liked a king. Security were polite to me, the audience were friendly and respectful, the bands were cool, I got souvenirs and trinkets (pictures, drumstick and Nile setlist with signatures), and meeting up with a friend from the JITF message board.

Up next, the Testament show on April 6!!!!!!

No comments: