Thursday, May 21, 2009

Meshuggah's show w/ Cynic and The Faceless @ Irving Plaza 2/19/09

So I went Back to the Fillmore and managed to get myself in after all dUring the Last coupLe songS of Cynic's set. Needless to say, tHe place was packed and for the fIrst Time since Opeth's show at Nokia last year, I DID NOT get to the front barricades. Instead, I had to content myself with the scrubs and pussies up in the balcony and watch the remainder of the show there. NOT GOOD!

CYNIC - Don't know their music and don't care. Right off the bat, I give them at least a Set Rating: B-/C+

MESHUGGAH - Crowd went nuts as expected, though I don't why! Much better shows than tonight haven't sold out as quickly as this one did - THREE FUCKIN' WEEKS! Apparently, they were recording a DVD for the show, though I doubt that's why someone's elbow was in my face the whole set. These guys, who've been around since 1987, definitely know their way around a stage and especially Jens Kidman, the bald-fuck of a singer, know how to get these sweaty, greasy douchebags riled up. I'll be honest, I don't like Swedish Euro-trash metal and I'm not a huge fan of Meshuggah.... some songs are okay at best, though I enjoy the sheer brutality of "Bleed"'s guitar riffs and seven-minute barrage of noise. I can say that their stage presence is palpable and deserving of frontliner billing, but overall they were just okay and failed to really incite much dominance than I've seen in the past, like Metallica at Nassau (honestly, who can fucking compare to them?) or Max Cavalera in whatever band incarnation he's presently in. Much like Opeth and Children of Bodom though very different in musical approach, Meshuggah are entertaining and fun for whoever likes them and delivers more bang for their buck, but I would have been content to stay home and bitch about why I missed them than to pay what I paid to see them live and then bitch about why they failed to truly impress me. Set Rating: B

AFTER THE SHOW - As the sweaty hogs collected their coats and junks, I managed to get a couple pics with Meshuggah - Marten, Fredrik and Tomas - and two members of The Faceless, who I last saw at the borefest called Summer Slaughter last year. I had a verbal spat with a, sort-of but not-really, show buddy, who is becoming more arrogant and cocky everytime I see him. Naturally, I verbally bitch-slapped him and put him in his place like the dog he is. I find myself increasingly disliking these people, though I really and truly try hard to keep a friendly and familiar face.... but it's becoming so hard!

Show Grade: B-

No comments: