Monday, May 17, 2010

Ronnie James Dio: 7/10/42 - 5/16/10

Admittedly, I was never a huge Dio fan in terms of his music. I was never big into songs about wizards, demons, children of higher power, etc., and power metal squealings can be quite tiresome after a while. I don't own any of his solo records, or his work with Elf or Rainbow, just the post-Ozzy Sabbath records and the latest Heaven & Hell album, 2009's The Devil You Know. I don't claim to be an expert on Dio and won't pretend to be. I can only say that Ronnie James Dio, born Ronald James Padanova, was a little man with an epic voice and, from what I've read from those who knew him well, he had a heart and spirit that matched that epic voice.

I never got a chance to meet Dio or see him performing live. I never got to shake his hand, or take a photo with him, or even ask him questions about life and its absurdities. The man who, as Chris Jericho smugly called him "the guy who looks like Carla from Cheers," was a gentleman in a business run by assholes. While most bands have been at it for only a few short years, such as Lamb of God and Mastodon, are miserable and embittered scumbags, Dio was a consummate professional with over 50 years under his belt and was always known to be supportive to everyone who met him. I only wish that I could have thanked him, not so much for his music but for his humanity.

No one can ever say it was harder except Dio, and very few have shown humility and respect the way he has to newcomers. We should never forget his great gift as a performer, and his warmth and compassion for his peers. We may have lost a great singer on Earth, but Heaven just got itself another fantastic addition to that "Great Big Metal Band in the Sky."

R.I.P. Ronnie. These horns are for you! \m/ \m/







Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010)




No comments: