Sunday, May 2, 2010

Overkill w/ Vader, God Dethroned, Warbringer, Evile, and Woe of Tyrants @ Nokia - 5/1/10

You'd think that after years of being an "almost, but never quite there" metal band that they would have given it all up and called it a day. But the remaining Overkill members Bobby "Blitz" Ellsworth and D.D. Verni don't know when to quit, and why should they? Do we really want to leave the legacy of thrash metal into the hands of junior leaguers like the other bands on the bill?

I mean, bands like Warbringer and Evile fit into a specific niche that is neither progressive or viable. All they serve is a throwback to the good ol' days. But what irritates me is the fact that these kids weren't even alive when this shit was hot! It comes off very second-hand. I watched Warbringer go from little pups opening at small clubs like BB King to suddenly becoming every metal band's de facto new wave thrashers. And while they have skill, they just don't go for the brass ring. At least frontman John Kevill doesn't childishly scream out "Hail Satanas!" anymore. God, that was lame!

Evile are a nice bunch of limey chaps, but much like Warbringer, their music serves no purpose but instill a sense of nostalgia from a time they knew nothing about. Again, second-handed! But the crowd digs them and I guess they have a place in metal, but it won't be on my iPod unless I hear something new and exciting. Till then, I won't hold my breath.

I didn't see Woe of Tyrants, but the name just screams "amateur" and is an obvious opening act. Judging from the people I asked at the show, apparently I didn't miss a thing. God Dethroned were decent, but no big thrills here. And Vader had their flashes of brilliance here and there, but they couldn't make me stop texting on my iPhone long enough to absorb their set. It happens!

And Overkill! For a bunch of old warhorses like these guys, who have been together since the year I was born, I was quite impressed! They played early stuff like my favorite "Hello from the Gutter" to newer tracks like "Bring Me the Night" and "Ironbound" to the closer "Fuck You". I didn't care to look at Bobby Ellsworth shirtless and bony, skipping about like Robert Plant, but he had thenright attitude and spirit to make it fun while the little metalheads douchers were crushing each other in the pits. I think the old hens in Overkill have a couple more years left in them before they get sent to the glue factory.

All this and a bomb threat in Times Square afterwards! A chaotic night with (very) old thrash meets younger and regurgitated thrash. However, I would have liked it for Ellsworth and Verni to leave the family and the attitude (at least in Verni's case) at be civil to fans. I came close to putting him in his place in front of his wife and daughter, but acquiesed. This was most certainly a much better gathering than watching Chris Jericho posing like a rock god and that novelty act he calls a band.... what was their name again? Faggy?


Show Grade: B





Evile





Warbringer





Vader





Yours truly and Bobby Ellsworth (Overkill)





Yours truly and D.D. Verni (Overkill)

No comments: