Thursday, July 29, 2010

The "FEUD SERIES" Vol. 1: Max Cavalera vs. Fred Durst: "Fred Was a Jackass!"

Recently, "Maxipad" Cavalera was interviewed by some douchebag for some shitrag magazine/website whatever-the-fuck about the latest SOULFLY offering, the lackluster and quite bloodless Omen, which saw the "Bob Marley of metal" team up with 'Roid-rager Greg Puciato of The Dillinger Escape Plan on one track ("Rise of the Fallen") and Prong's closet-case Tommy Victor on another ("Lethal Injection"). Cavalera has been known to generously share vocal duties with a variety of other artists, both metal and non-metal, in harmonious quarters. But there is one such person that he absolutely regrets doing a song with, and is it any surprise when that unlucky joker turns out to be LIMP BIZKIT frontman Fred Durst, who contributed to the song "Bleed" off of 1998's Soulfly. In true metal style, Cavalera doesn't hold back or mince words on his disappointment at working with a man who he refers to as "a jackass".



vs.


Question: In recent years you've been critical of your work with LIMP BIZKIT's Fred Durst on "Bleed" from your self-titled debut. Are there any collaborations you've been involved with that you regret now?

Max Cavalera: "Yeah, Fred Durst, you know, turned out to be a jackass later, but at the time that he did that he was cool. He wasn't like super-famous and the idea to use him was from the producer Ross Robinson, he was friends with LIMP BIZKIT. I didn't know the band, I just had a spot for the song "Bleed" and he said some guy could do some rapping on top of it. So I was like, "Alright, that's cool". I didn't know who LIMP BIZKIT was and then like a year later they were the biggest band on the planet. He also turned into a jackass, you know, so I was like, "Oh well, I've got this guy on my album now". At that time I didn't know... if it was today, I probably wouldn't be using him."



I once asked Cavalera after a show at Gramercy Theater in late 2008 when Soulfly were in New York about why he would lower his standards to someone so unmetal and vile as Fred Durst, and thereby soiling the legacy of Soulfly.

He told me, in his broken English:

"Fred really burned a lot of bridges with a lot of people in the business. I never had a problem with him directly, but I know a lot of people who would never want to work with him again because he is a jackass." Ouch... very ouch!

No comments: