Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Charred Walls of the Damned Release Party @ Fontana's - 2/2/10

It's a night of celebration for metal as Tim "Ripper" Owens, former singer of Judas Priest and Iced Earth, and Richard Christy, former drummer of Death and current resident "funnyman" on the Howard Stern Show, come together to promote the release of their self-titled album, "Charred Walls of the Damned." It's a somewhat interesting affair as metalheads and fans of all kinds, class and style mixing with the gross and depraved, come out to meet the pair and get the obligatory autograph after paying $10 for the CD.

The evening boasts some familiar faces in metal: Metal Blade honcho Brian Slagel makes an appearance, as do "That Metal Show" co-host Don Jamieson; Sirius/XM host Jose Mangin; Savatage and Trans-Siberian Orchestra guitarist Chris Caffrey; Lisa G. of Howard 100 News; and former Uranium host Juliya C., all of which I would hardly call "celebities," but definitely a night of familiar faces. There's free Pab's Blue Ribbon and free admission to a couple metal bands playing downstairs, which is always good... free, that is! A good make-up for the admirable performance at the Hail! show at BB King, and despite the fact that Owens dislikes me after my scathing review of the show, to which he sent a vicious letter to me on Facebook, he is still pleasant and cordial. Richard Christy, still sloppy and drunk, is also polite and courteous despite my comments concerning his parents at Duff's. It's a metal night indeed!

The three bands who performed were: The Judas Syndrome), The Hixon, and Javelina. I wonder why the Hixon are playing second instead of last since there are obviously the better of the three and have way more mileage and musical polish - ironic since this is metal we're talking about here. I had a chance to mingle and kibitz for a few seconds with the band when I drunkenly (of course) spill my beer on myself and my iPhone. Very down-to-earth and sweet bunch of dudes for a group who play hellish music, which I mean in a very positive way. By the end of the Hixon's set, it's immediately overtaken by Owens and Christy and they play a rousing spin of Judas Priest's "Living After Midnight" (of course it has to be Priest). In the end, comedian Don Jamieson is singing loudly and obnoxiously like a true metalhead, careless and extremely dopey, like fellow comedian and metal friend Jim Breuer would do. He, too, is also pretty cool and respectful. Brian Slagel, who I stupidly and drunkenly thought to be a homosexual, admits to having a girlfriend. He spends his time talking to a barfly than drinking, though he does order another glass of red wine. He is still friendly, sweet dude, despite having the exceptional title as CEO and Chairman of a reknown record label.

While Owens is boozing it up with Caffrey and Jamieson after a rousing set, I work up enough balls and courage to face my online target and get all the bad blood and hurt feelings out. We spend fifteen minutes chatting with one another, interrupted a few times by various bar patrons, and Owens is surprisingly even more candid, polite, open, and cordial than before. We discuss our online differences with him defending his Hail! bandmates incessantly, recognizing them as great guys and nice to fans. His delivery is passionate and I believe he truly loves playing in this band and its figureheads. The one thing he could have done better was address me by name, or at least ask me my name, and maybe buy me a drink. Truth be told, I come away having newfound respect for our man Owens; and not simply because he's "Ripper," but because he acted and treated me with respect, like man, when we could have just as easily taken our beef outside and fought like men. I'm definitely interested in what new project he has in store next.

I leave around 1am while everyone is still there carousing and for once I feel like part of the crew. Chris Caffrey and Don Jamieson show me some love and respect while chatting with Owens, and both Brian Slagel and Jose Mangin are generous and attentive to me. I didn't care for Richard Christy, who was somewhat slippery, but we did at least exchange pleasantries earlier. It was a great evening of metal celebration and mending fences at the same time. In the process, I think I found my new metal hangout joint - Fontana's!

Evening Grade: A-







No comments: