Monday, November 2, 2009

Dethklok & Mastodon w/ Converge and High on Fire @ Hammerstein Ballroom - 10/30/09

Tonight was an opportunity to finally get to see what all the fuss was about concerning Dethklok, who had a sold-out show last year at Nokia, and Mastodon, who also had a sold-out earlier this year at the Fillmore. As an admirer of the latter's latest Crack the Skye and great indifference to the former band altogether, as well as to the cartoon "Metalocalypse" itself, and in response to both bands' sold-out shows, when I heard that they were touring together I immediately got my tickets at the first local date to see them. Naturally and almost immediately this date was sold-out, which led to the 29th to open up for an extra date. Once I got in there, I expected a decent show and boy, did I get it! However, I will say that much of it had to do with the use of a screen in the background which led to some visual stimulation and thereby amping the sonic stimulation from the bands up to 11. Not to say that they cheated, but I would really like to compare tonight's show with another show involving Dethklok and Mastodon WITHOUT a screen in the background. I guarantee you the results would be vastly different!

HIGH ON FIRE - Riding the wave of their latest release Death Is This Communion, the stoner trio led by Matt Pike seem to get the night going. The crowd seems to dig the vibe and indeed Pike is enjoying himself, however not one joint is sparked! I can't you what songs were played because I'm not what you would call an HOF fan, but I can say that they warmed the crowd up nicely and were rewarded with ample cheers from the audience. Great energy and chaotic focus helps to sell HOF as possible stoner gods. Set Rating: B

CONVERGE - Off of their latest release Axe to Fall, this foursome seem to pick up the slack quite well, but they come off as the unlikely band on the bill - every tour has one of these - and they seem more comfortable on the Warped Tour than here. Frontman Jacob Bannon seems to enjoy bouncing around like a flea, which is what he reminded me of, swinging his arms around, waving, more bouncing and jumping, even more waving, and eventually screaming into the mic. At certain times, he reminded of Dillinger Escape Plan's singer Greg Puciato, almost as if they went to the same band camp and learned the same stage maneuvers from the same frontman handbook. The rest of the band played well, but the screeching noise that this band makes.... call it "Grindcore Jr.".... doesn't do anything for me except to start blogging on my iPhone. I don't anyone in the audience were that impressed either. Set Grade: C+

MASTODON - So finally it came down to the band I was most interested in seeing. A band whose entire back catalogue can go down the toilet or trash compactor and never see the light of day with the exception of their latest and quite possibly greatest release, the epic conceptual piece called Crack the Skye, which thankfully and expectedly was played in full from start to finish. From the opening riffs of "Oblivion" to the 13-minute closer of "The Last Baron", Mastodon played an incredible live set that featured, as mentioned above earlier, a widescreen of animation stills perhaps from the album booklet (I wouldn't know, I downloaded the album for free!) full of beautiful colors and what looked like silent films from 1900-1927, though I highly doubt these were actual films.... though I could be wrong, too. Brent Hinds even dressed the part, decked out in tight silver astro-pants and an Afro wig, adding to kooky, psychedelic vibe that Mastodon is known for. Once the band has finishing playing the entire seven-track album, they go right into playing one song from the last three albums, 2006's Blood Mountain, 2004's Leviathan, and 2002's Remission, before calling it a night. Again, I have to stress that they were helped greatly by the screen behind them, though not to take away from their abilities as a band. However, in the future, I would like to see if Mastodon can still hold up their own without the use of gimmicks and electronics and rely on the use of their instruments instead. But tonight, they get a pass. Set Grade: A

DETHKLOK - Promoting their latest release, Dethalbum II, the "band" led by Metalocalypse creator Brendon Small, more like a Mike Judge wannabe, makes use of the jumbo screen in the back just as Mastodon had used earlier to the full effect of engrossing and putting the already worn-out group of metalheads into a trance before they realize that four old men are really the brains and fingers behind Dethklok and not five animated men and decide to go home in tears. In reality, the screen actually makes great use of interludes when the band goes off to recoup, using episodic vignettes of past or maybe new episodes from the TV show. At the beginning, there's a moment where Jack Black is in character onscreen to promote the release of the heavy metal video game "Brutal Legend", which really isn't all that funny nor does it make me want to buy the game any faster, though believe me I shall! As a band, the old men on stage are actually pretty good! It helps to legendary thrash metal drummer Gene Hoglan to lend credibility, as well as Mike Keneally (who?) and Bryan Beller (no really, who?) to keep it going. Even Small, who does his best James Hetfield poses like some 40-year-old geek still living with his mother, looks like he knows what he is doing. But like I said about Mastodon, I would like to see Dethklok stripped (not MTV Unplugged style) of all its theatrics and background screen, and just be a band that plays. Guaranteed they would crumble and fail. But tonight, like Mastodon, they get a pass. Set Grade: A

AFTER THE SHOW - So after a rousing evening of satisfying my curiosity as to the appeal of the latter two bands, I decided to make my way out and introduce myself. I decided to skip meeting High on Fire and Converge and made my way to meet the members of Mastodon.

I spot guitarist and part-time vocalist Brent Hinds busy kissing his girlfriend (or wife) and catching up with friends. When we meet, he is friendly enough and we chat a bit before getting photos and going our separate ways. It begins to sour, however, when later I bring up the whole VMAs/William Hudson assault which left Hinds in bad shape. He bitterly tells me that he didn't have any money to pursue a lawsuit and thereby receiving justice for himself. Quite sad, actually. I try to get a picture with Troy Sanders, who behaves like a complete bitch and refuses to take pictures with yours truly, citing that "I don't do pics, man" and "I'm sick" as his excuse. Though as he is telling me this, I did manage to get a pic of him, which I'm not too satisfied with. I told him he should appreciate his fans more and I proceeded to call Sanders an "asshole" and a "douchebag" to his face, which he was not too thrilled about, but it made me feel much better. Next time will be different, and he'll be the one begging for a picture with me. Brann Dailor, who I had met earlier in the day at a Sam Ash signing, seems somewhat mellow and cautious about who he speaks to. I ask him random questions about this supposed film the band is trying to put together based on Crack the Skye which, in my opinion, will NEVER see the light of day. I ask him about his sister Skye, who at 14 committed suicide, on which the album is named for. Like the others, he seems somewhat taken aback and even annoyed by the questions, which isn't surprising or new to me. Bill Kelliher, who I had met the might before outside Hammerstein and was drunk off his mind, recognized me from an awful message I sent him on Facebook earlier in the day about his erratic behavior the night before, and playfully poked me in my belly. He seemed to also lose patience with me as I berated him with questions that were provocative and uncomfortable. His only defense was to ignore me, which didn't work until he retreated into the venue.

Meeting Dethklok was also fun! I got to see my old pal Gene Hoglan again and "kiss and make up" so to speak. Despite losing his mother and dear friend Michelle Meldrum, he comes across as humble, sweet and endearing to those around him, even those who went on record as to defame and insult his character to bloggers and readers online and ask awful questions in his time of mourning. Gene Hoglan proves that he is truly a man of class. The same cannot be said for arrogant jerkoffs and big-headed pricks like Brendon Small, who really does not have a humorous bone in his body. Still smarting from his rude comments last year at a bar, I brought it to his attention, and to his face, that I thought he is and will always be a rude prick and that I hate his cartoons. All he could muster was a five-second staredown, before continuing to sign autographs and take pictures with fans. When I jokingly asked for a picture with him and he refused, I called him an "asshole" in front of the fans, which drew lots of stares and hushed whispers.

FINAL THOUGHTS - Despite all the drama, I left the Hammerstein extremely happy! Happy to mix it up with Mastodon and that douchebag Small one more time, and making amends with Hoglan. I finally got to see and understand why Mastodon and Dethklok tend to sell out the venues and came away with a greater appreciation for the music, even if I download them for free! :-)

Show Grade: A-

No comments: